Thursday, October 18, 2012

Goodbye Gazpacho - Hello Chowda!

The change in the weather means a change in whats stocked in the fridge which means SOUP!  Gazpacho season is over and now its chili and chowda time folks!!  Nothing beats a piping hot bowl of soup served with a piece of toasty crusty bread.  Most of the time soups get a bad rep – as the go-to food to eat when you’re sick.  Not true, it’s an easy, flavor-packed bowl of goodness that you can enjoy anytime; especially chowder.  Chowder or chowda as my brethren in the northeast call it is basically a thickened soup.  I have always thought that chowder takes all day but the other night CFJ was craving soup and it’s the first thing that popped in my mind! So, I made it happen…quickly! 

Clam Chowda
Makes enough for 2-3 ppl
Canned Clams – 2 cans
1 russet potato – peeled and diced
½ to 1 cup Sliced mushrooms
1 onion diced
Garlic - 2 gloves, minced 
Chicken stock – 12-18 oz
Fat Free Half and Half
Thickening Agent (1/4 cup flour and half and half – whisked well removing lumps)
Frozen corn – cup or so
Dried Thyme - 1-2 tsp
Dried Dill - 1-2 tsp
Dried Oregano - 1-2 tsp
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - dash 
S&P
Crumbled Bacon
Diced Chives (or green onions)

Drain clams, reserving the juice and set aside. 
In large saucepan, sautee onions, garlic and mushrooms with butter until tender.   Add ¾ of your chicken stock, clam juice (from canned clams) and diced potato.  Simmer until taters are tender – about 10-15 minutes.
Add dried seasonings (use measurements to your taste preferences), 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of half and half and your thickening agent.  Stir well and continue to cook on simmer a few more minutes.  If the chowda is getting too thick, add additional chicken stock, if too thin, create additional thickening agent and add.  If you feel you want more base to your soup continue to add liquids until to reach your desired amount.    
Once you get the desired consistency and amount of base add corn and clams.  Flavor with pepper and a pinch of salt and simmer 10 more minutes until heated through.  Serve topped with crumbled bacon (hence, only a pinch of salt) and diced green onions or chives.

Now, typically I end my posts with a simple “Enojy!” but there is something that gave this chowda a little extra flavor!  As I was plating my soup and placing the garnish perfectly for it’s photo debut, I quickly grabbed for my phone and SPLASH!  My iPhone lands head first into my beautifully garnished bowl of clam chowder.  After freaking out that first, I ruined my photo opp for this post, CFJ kindly reminded me my phone was swimming with the clams – ha.  Don’t worry, I got the photo out in time before any major damage.  Aaaah, blessed by the food gods! 

Now..Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment