Friday, August 16, 2013

The Malcom Roll

Almost one year ago I was on a plane to LAX for work and I wrote this on my iPhone.  I cant believe I haven't posted this until now, it is wonderful food for the soul.  (By the way...Baby Emma and I are doing great, will post about our lives at a later date.)

You ever wonder how others see you?  You know how you judge a dinner entree or sushi roll by there
appearances, well that's kind of how we treat strangers.  Are they positioned well on the plate of society? Dressed with the perfect accessories of caviar or fish roe and bright bubbly presentation?  I am guilt as charged, but soul food doesn't have a typical appearance, it can show up and be very unassuming and not be what you expect once you cut into it.  

I was on a flight to LAX and noticed this quarky guy with longer curly hair, older, faded jeans and sock feet pacing the aisle of our plane.  I immediately thought...odd.  He was seated behind me and his sock feet occasionally peeked around the arm rest. I was judgey.

When I was in line for the bathroom my sock footed buddy joined the line. He said "he-llo" in the sweetest southern accent. "Hi there" was my response.  Instantly he began telling me how he was 43, from Columbia, GA and never been this far West before.  He is a mechanic and was on his way to visit his cousin in Alaska that he hasn't seen in 14 years.  They were going to go salmon fishing, whale watching, etc...He said that this is the most exciting trip he will ever take in his life.  At the end of his story, he said "hello I'm Malcom, what's your name?" I said, "Suzanne and it is a pleasure to meet you". Malcom responded with a big grin, "pleasure to meet you."

His genuine approach and excitement about life warmed me. When I sat back down, I rethought about why. Why did I judge this poor guy?  He is the basic sushi roll that people rarely order but when you do you are pleasantly
satisfied.  Upon landing, he turned to me and said, "Suzanne, have a safe trip." I smiled warmly and said enjoy Alaska.  

This tells us a little something about ourselves.

Today's Soul Food....The Malcom Roll, topped with fresh salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment