Sunday, September 23, 2012

A sous chef is the best kitchen accessory.


Scallops could be considered the filet mignon of the sea.  Rich and tender and can be completely ruined if overcooked.  Which is why a good sous chef is always important when cooking a meal with scallops because Lord knows, you don’t want to screw up that entrĂ©e! 
I ran up to my local Earth Fare the other day and the scallops were looking irresistible so I knew my sous chef would be helping out with dinner!  Cue the phone call:  “Hey Babe.  Good, you?  Great, just picked up some yummy scallops.  Yeah, Earth Fare.  So what time are you...7pm, PERFECT! Love ya “  Unknown to CFJ, I had my sous chef for the night.  
Chuck has perfected the art of searing scallops so anytime we make them he knows he will have to put on his sous chef searing hat and help out, but I don’t think he minds.  

We had 6 large scallops and we needed a little something extra to go with the dish.  No surprise to anyone, I suggested pasta.  The first thing that pops in my head is a play-off alfredo or scampi, neither of which I am a huge fan of so I scoured the kitchen to get creative.  Ricotta, fresh basil and roasted red pepper...could be a yummy sauce.  From the pantry scouring we created, Ricotta Red Pepper Pasta topped with Seared Scallops.  This is a fun dish to cook together because you can divide and conquer.  Chef takes the sauce and pasta while the Sous Chef mans that scallops.  
Red Pepper Ricotta Sauce & Pasta
Whole Milk Ricotta – a cup or so
Fresh Basil – 4 leaves roughly sliced
Roasted Red Peppers ( ¾ of a jar) – rough chop
Minced Garlic – 1 teaspoon
Italian Seasoning
Red Pepper Flakes
S&P
Drizzle EVOO
Place all items in your mini Ninja or food processor and mix well.  Keep blending and tasting until you reach your preferred palate pleasing sauce.  I had to keep adding Red Pepper flakes to my sauce because I wanted a bit of a kick.  Once mixed, place in a small saucepan and gently heat. 
Add your fettuccini to the salted, boiling water and start your scallops. 
Seared Scallops
Rinse scallops and pat dry.  Pre-heat a skillet on medium-medium high heat and add butter.  You want your pan hot but not scorching that you immediately burn your scallops.  I always cut one in half or buy an extra just for testing.  Once your pan is ready, S&P the scallops and add to the buttery skillet.  Sear a couple minutes, until you have a nice crust and flip.  By the top you are ready to remove the scallops your pasta is ready. Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the water, and set aside.  Place scallops on paper towel once cooked. 
To put it all together, toss the pasta with your red pepper sauce and a splash of pasta water, top with scallops and fresh basil.   Feel free to also add freshly grated parm and crumbled bacon ( I use turkey bacon) like we did! Once you bite into your delicate, buttery scallop, kiss your sous chef, sip your wine and enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment