Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Soul Food: The New Food Group


Everyone knows a well-balanced diet consists of mathematical breakdown of breads/grains, fruits, veggies, meat/poultry and oils/sweets (sparingly of course).  I think the FDA forgot one key component…food for your soul.  A while back I wrote my first post about Soul Food and yesterday while I was running I realized how important it is.  
Yesterday I posed a challenge to myself, a 4 mile run in under 40, which is something I haven’t done in MONTHS!  I took the mental and physical challenge, cleared my head and ran.  To be frank, I kicked that runs ass in 36 minutes.  The time to myself to overcome that challenge and feel the success was a 4-course meal for the soul.  I cleared my head and overcame a hurdle – my soul was full. 

Your soul needs fuel.  This can be through religion, meditation, reading, exercise….whatever works for you but find some time to reflect and focus on you.  This time really makes you concentrate on what’s important and for me it makes me warm and fuzzy inside!  Sometimes, others can provide for food your soul and little surprise treats tend to show up in your life.

Tonight I was at the gym and using my iPhone for music (Which I never do) and at the close of my workout during my crazy-abs series a text came through.
All I see is the following picture and quote, “Respect the training, Honor the commitments, Cherish the results.”  


The best part…it came from my Dad, one of my biggest supporters!  Talk about food for the soul.  *Warm* 

That’s my recipe for today.  Enojy!

No comments:

Post a Comment