Saturday, July 14, 2012

Neighborhood Gem


What comes to mind when someone says neighborhood gem?  A quaint boutique? Wine shop? A neighbor’s home?  For me it refers to a fab restaurant and/or bar that’s off the beaten path and visited my many local folks.  My favorite neighborhood gem is Lynnwood Grill, fun atmosphere, good food and less than .9 miles from my house…but that’s a post for another day.  A restaurant that we visit every few months calls itself “Raleigh’s Neighborhood Gem” – Glenwood Grill (referred to as The GG).   

The GG is located in a strip mall (fancy strip mall though!) between Crabtree and Five Points.  The restaurant is in a small, understated space that seats around 75 people plus a few cozy spots at the intimate bar that overlooks the dining area.  We frequent The GG because of the environment and service.  It is always crowded but never too busy to take care of their guests; plus the food is a delicious blend of traditional American cuisine with a southern twist.  Typically I order a cobb or Caesar salad with fried oysters.  You can’t get good fried oysters too many places and GG always has them – HUGE PLUS in my book.  To start, if I am feeling particularly unhealthy on that day…Fried Green Tomatoes, I mean…who can resist? Or a healthier option, P.E.I Mussels in a lobster sherry broth with Parmesan toast! Pair high-end Southern fare with a nice glass on wine – yes please.  The wine list isn’t super exciting but the focus is about the food.  When I go out I am not one to usually order a salad as a meal unless it’s a typical So. Fried Chix Salad at a chain but at The GG I must save room for the MOST-SUPER-YUMMY-DESLISH and TASTY BREAD PUDDING EVER TASTED IN MY (ALMOST) 30 YEARS OF LIFE.  
<<Hold please, I need a moment>>

 Last night we were feeling a low-key night out with seafood, so we picked The GG.  It was odd but we were underwhelmed with our experience.  Maybe because of my amazing home cooking (wink, wink, ha!) we are setting our standards too high and getting spoiled?  We started with two salads, Caesar and The Grill Salad with strawberries beets and goat cheese.  The salads were perfect!  Love a combo of fruit and goat cheese on a salad and CFJ cannot resist a homemade Caesar, especially when served with fried grit croutons!  (CF is on a no-carb kick so I reaped the benefits of that one.)   We then chose two of our favorites Grouper and Salmon.


The salmon was simply cooked medium served over creamed spinach with a light lemon butter sauce.  Basic.  The Grouper Bake, the formal name for the fish dish, was not so basic.  The fish was topped with a leek, shitake mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and it seems a few bread crumbs.  The fish was served beside a puree of potatoes, carrots and pimento; although delicious the flavors just didn’t seem to pair well together for me.  We left nutritionally satisfied but felt something was lacking.

Don’t worry The GG, you are a Gem and we will be back soon, but I will stick to my Oysters, FGTs and MOST-SUPER-YUMMY-DESLISH and TASTY BREAD PUDDING.  

No comments:

Post a Comment