Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Whole Foods Freak Out!!


CF was out of town last week and was eating out at really bad, middle of now where restaurants so I wanted to treat him to something special for dinner Saturday!  First, I dragged him to Whole Foods!  Not his idea of a good Saturday but secretly I think he likes it.  We (well...I) were on mission for sea bass; apparently me and everyone else in North Raleigh.  Whole Foods was out of sea bass…I paused, took a deep breath and had two options: 1.) Have a food meltdown, freak out moment, like a 5 year old or 2.) Turn this into a game.  Which did I choose???????
Against popular belief (I am trying to change my ways), I turned it into a game.  "What can I cook without having a plan and I have to figure it out in 15 minutes!" After walking aimlessly around the store, sending CF to the wine aisle...here were the ingredients that I chose:
-Celery Root
-Mixed Mushroom Medley
-Veal Scallopini cut
-Fresh Spinach and Arugula
-Gorgonzola Dolce
-Parmesan Block 
-Champagne Vinegar
-Pears
I decided to make Veal Scallopini stuffed and rolled with spinach, arugula, and parmesan and topped with a celery root puree.  I would then serve that with a wild mushroom couscous and mixed green salad with champagne vinaigrette dressing.  The pears and Gorgonzola were for dessert!For the purpose of this post...its all about the main course!

Celery Root Puree
Now, I had never worked with celery root before so this was an adventure.  I had it in my mind that I wanted to make a sauce from it.  It was a bit of a battle to peel and get the root exposed but once that was done, I set the greens aside and diced the actual root.  I boiled diced root in milk w/ garlic, S&P and nutmeg.  Once it was fork tender, like a potato, I took it off the burner and let cool.  Once it cools, place in food processor and blend well!

About 10 minutes before you are ready to eat, place puree back in sauce pans and heat.  Add bay leaf, more S&P, Italian seasoning, diced celery root leaf greens (kind of tastes like parsley) and dash more nutmeg and additional milk or chicken stock to thin out if needed.




Veal
For your super star….veal.  Layout the scallopini and pat dry.  In a small bowl mix diced celery root leaf and garlic powder.  Spread a dollop of the butter onto each piece of veal and add S&P.  Place a layer of fresh spinach and arugula on top of the butter and then sprinkle with grated parmesan.  Roll each piece of veal tightly and secure with two toothpicks.  S&P the outside.

In a large oven safe skillet, heat up a couple tablespoons of butter on medium heat until frothy.  Sear veal about 3 minutes on each side until you get a nice brown sear on the outside, occasionally spooning butter over top to add flavor.   Then place entire pan in 350 degree oven to finish cooking.  I would watch the veal, depending on thickness it only takes about 4-5 more minute in the oven.  You do not want to overcook the veal, bleh!
Once cooked through, take out and let rest.  Finish heating your celery root puree and you are ready to plate!


I served the veal with wild mushroom couscous but you could use grits, polenta or mashed potatoes…pick your favorite!  Place the starch down on plate first and then line with veal rolls.  Drizzle puree and the leftover pan butter and garnish with greens.  Slice into the tender meat and enjoy!  Be careful of toothpicks!

No comments:

Post a Comment