Friday, August 24, 2012

Raising the Salad Bar


Sometimes a salad just hits the spot, especially when it is a hearty, meaty, crispy, crunchy cobb salad!  Traditionally salads are a healthy aperitif, palate cleanser or a very European way to end a meal but bring a salad to me and I can make it a meal!  It’s interesting because I try to remember back and I honestly cannot say before this summer that I have ever made a salad as my main course for dinner at home.  Nope, never.  How can that be??  Hmmm….
Well, it must be the raging NC summer heat (which is coming to an end, thank goodness!) and the “30 before 30” CFJ was pushing but I’ve prepared and eaten a few entrĂ©e dinner salads lately.  One of our favorites was the Homemade Cobb – colorful and flavorful and fun to plate!
What you Need:
Romaine Lettuce
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Avocado
Eggs – Hard Boiled
Blue Cheese – Freshly Crumbled
Shredded Carrots
Chicken Breast
Turkey Bacon

This is pretty self-explanatory but you need to season and grill your chicken, hard boil your eggs and cook your bacon first.  While your proteins are cooking away you can prepare your salad.  Chop and dice as you deem appropriate and start layering.  Basically, your salad bowl (or plate) is your blank canvas.  After your bacon, chicken and eggs have cooked…funny how those two are paired together…slice and add to your final Cobb painted canvas.  Now, a few suggestions for toppings….
This salad doesn’t need much in the realm of dressing a simply squirt of lemon juice could do just fine but its always fun to have options.  You could use a fruity vinaigrette such as pear or pomegranate but I made a homemade Avocado Ranch dressing to go with my Cobb.  This was my first attempt at a homemade creamy style dressing, normally I stick to vinaigrettes.  Here is what I did: 
2 diced avocados
A few large splashes of Buttermilk
Tablespoon or so of sour cream
Dried dill
Dried parsley
Celery Salt 
Lemon juice
Garlic – Minced
S&P
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or in my case a mini-Ninja, keeping tasting and seasoning until you reach your desired flavor and chill until ready to use.  The mint green color of the dressing makes a great pairing with the brightness of the salad.  Enjoy!

1 comment: