Friday, July 6, 2012

Sun Kissed

I woke up today refreshed and sun-kissed!  Yesterday we spent 6 hours on the beach/by the pool and I believe I applied SPF 50 about 6-7 times (may have missed the tops of my feet though, ouch!)!  It’s funny that after 30 years (almost!) you finally listen to your mother.  Thanks Mom!!
Before a complete day of laziness, I did go for a nice 3 mile run.  It was hotter than hell but I pushed through.  The reality of the Savannah Half Marathon is quickly approaching so I need to get my butt in gear.  When I got back I enjoyed a nice PB & ‘Nana sandwich on bagel thin (…and coffee and about 2 bottles of water!)  

Peanut butter is the perfect refuel snack after exercising.  I forgot how tasty of a snack combo peanut butter and bananas are, delish.  Quickly after the snack, SPF 50 lathered on thick I was on the beach.  This month’s Rachael Ray and Real Simple and a few Mich Ultras…paradise.  Thanks to my “can’t sit still for long” hubby, I tried my hand at body surfing.  Doesn’t work out too well in a cute Trina Turk bikini, but I did my best and without wardrobe malfunction – made me feel like a kid again.  All the activity made me hungry for my go-to beach lunch; Turkey and White Cheese (Provolone, Havarti, Muesnter, etc) on wheat with mayo and a pickle.  Simple and hits the spot plus it doesn’t take up much room in the cooler.  I did pack a small helping of Pimento Cheese as well!  LOVE IT, mayo, cheese, some kick all spread onto a cracker of choice…my goodness! 

Pimento Cheese
½ Cup Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
½ Cup Shredded White Cheddar or Colby Jack  
Small jar of pimentos – diced
Light Mayo (I know, it sounds like a Diet Coke w/ a Big Mac but it’s what we keep on hand)
S&P
Mix, Chill and Enjoy!!
After 5 hours, I had enough of sand, pool time!  Relaxing in the shade, almost asleep it was probably time to head up.  But tonight, I had the night off…the men were cooking dinner!!  
Peel & Eat Shrimp and Scallops.

Charlie's Peel & Eat
2 lbs fresh shrimp
Old Bay
Can of Beer
Secret Ingredient:  Vinegar
Boil Water, old bay and beer add vinegar and bring back to boil – add shrimp, cover and cook until pink….just a few minutes.
Serve with homemade cocktail sauce (ketchup, creamy horseradish, lemon juice and chili sauce)


Chuck's Pan Seared Scallops
Pat 12 large sea scallops dry, season with S&P and sear with Herb Butter a couple minutes per side. 
To make the Herb Butter:
Soften a stick of butter; add minced garlic, parsley and basil.  Roll to form a log, wrap in plastic wrap and store in freezer until ready to use. 
Serve with a fresh salad with vinaigrette and crush bread – light and flavorful beach meal.  





1 comment:

  1. All of this looks delicious!! I'm going to have to try :)

    ReplyDelete